Saturday, August 9, 2008

welcome to my new army life

DAY THREE

hello good friends (or others with voyeuristic tendencies).

i have promised, perhaps unwisely, to keep up a blog of how this whole "Army" situation is going. usually, when i promise to call, email, text, or keep in contact in any way, I fail miserably. And you are still my friends anyway! it's a little bit like a Christmas miracle :)

It's the end of day 3, and I am still alive, still reasonably mentally stable, and have not gone AWOL (as one young lady did after day 2 - still haven't found her yet). I am in Texas, in the hella hot humidity and weather (85% and 90%, respectively), and have not killed or maimed any one up to this point. I have traipsed around in a HOT uniform -- ACU's, to the Army naive (as I was 2 days ago) -- marching, standing, running, etc. and have not expired. ps- the ACU "standards" indicate that I am not to put my hands in my pockets, push up the long sleeves, unzip the front, or do anything that would make it possible for me to look like I'm not sweating like a pig in ACU's.

I have been at OBCL (Officer's Basic Leadership Course) for four days, and have been thrown into a world in which I do not understand the language, am expected to have a degree of accountability even my parents didn't impress upon me, and most of all (my greatest fear in any situation) -- I have no IDEA how to wear my outfit! Even I know I should be humiliated when a Private (lowest ranking enlisted soldier) walks up and fastens a velcro flap that was hanging loose on my sleeve. maybe he just wanted to touch me...

My new hobby is shaping and shaving (yes, shaving...) my beret. It needs more exfoliating than my legs! If only I had that time to dedicate to shaving my legs... Every night, I get home, drench the black beret in the shower, stick it on my head in the shape it is "regulation" to wear it in. Then I take it off my now dripping head and let it dry overnight, after taking a disposable razor to the woolly fuzz on the surface. It still looks funky, and if one more person calls me "Chef Bouardee" (or however you spell it) or Luigee, I'm gonna give up and steal someone else's perfectly formed beret.

1 comment:

Uncle Jim said...

Congrats on your progress! When they get to the point where they give you more tasks than you have time to complete remember not to kill yourself attempting to do all but to evaluate what NEEDS to be done and what can wait.
Have fun with the beret...it looks great but not much function...