Tuesday, August 26, 2008

day 9 in the field

a few impressions from the field….

my ghetto dorm/hostile lodgings at fort sam look like a four seasons hotel after sleeping in a tent for 9 days

on day one, I was dirtier than I have been without the chance to clean up – day one! and we weren’t able to take our one and only shower until yesterday. I never want to smell myself again. crawling around in the mud and dirt and grass is just fine if you have more than a baby wipe waiting at the end of the day.

my new friend, charleene, goes with me everywhere, even the latrine (aka port-a-potty). she’s an M-16 rifle. we have a love/hate relationship. I love to shoot her, but I don’t want to carry her around all the time. I also have an LBE (load bearing equipment) and a gas mask I carry with me at all times. the whole package weighs about 25 lbs.

MRE’s are handy, but baaaaad for you! I am alarmed by how many men here are planning to buy a case and live off them from now on. they seem to think MRE’s are better than veggies and fish, and fruit. don’t get me wrong, if I had a bunker, I’d be loading it up with MRE’s. but guess what? Armageddon is not looming...

I’ll be back with more in 3 days. let’s hope I survive….

1 comment:

KatieDbLL said...

El Capie-tan,

Outstanding piece of journalism

This is my new home page.
I so want a Charleen of my own, oh wait I'm sure there is one in "you know who's" gun safe... kidding.
He and the son are out Bow hunting Bambi on this fine Labor Day Weekend...(no shower).
You should go with them next time and take Charleen and make it a whole lot easier.

Basically you are a Rock'en-ista.
I think Jennifer Garner wantes to play you in the film verison of you Blog gone Hollywood but what we really need is a really young Demi Moore.

I am praying for you and your new life of high adventure. Hope you don't go CIA on us. The blog would suffer.

You go girl and who let the dogs out who, who...
Kathy Willson